Vacation Eating and The Hunger Scale

Vacation usually means lots and lots of delicious treats! I love trying new foods so going to new restaurants and countries with new types of food is so much fun for me. Vacation also usually means a week or two of indulging and then its back to a relatively well balanced diet. My dilemma… I have quickly realized that this “vacation” is not just a week or two. I am abroad for over four months so having loads of sugary treats everyday is not the wisest decision. The past week has made me discover that just because I am in a foreign country does not means I can eat whatever I want, all of the time.

Over the weekend, some friends and I took a quick trip to Brussels, Belgium. I don’t know what you think about when I say Belgium, but the first things that came to my mind were chocolate, waffles, and French fries. With only 48 hours, we all took advantage of these amazing treats… so much so that we all felt pretty sick for the next few days. While a few days of salad, vegetable overload, and some trips to the gym got me feeling right back to normal, I have realized that this pattern of overeating and then “cleansing” does not make me feel my best.

IMG_9060.jpg

Belgian Waffles!

The biggest thing that I have forgotten about in all of this is the hunger scale. This guide here is a good way to know when and how much you (and I) should eat. If “1” is starving and “10” is miserably full, you should always be between 3 and 6/7. I know that recently I have been hitting 9/10 (and possible an 11 in Belgium!) way too often and it doesn’t feel good.

hunger scale.png

It is probably going to be difficult to say no to the homemade cakes my host mom makes, along with the flakey chocolate-filled pastries on every street corner, but if I want to survive these four months without endless stomach aches, I have to remind myself that I am going to be here for quite some time, and I don’t have to stuff my face with everything that is in front of me. (But, of course, a treat or a bite here and there will never hurt!) I also have to remind myself how much better I will feel if I don’t go to bed feeling like a roly-poly every night.

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Vacation Eating and The Hunger Scale

1. mvbarroeta says:

I always find very interesting to get to know people from other cultures and countries so I thank you for sharing some of your thoughts. I like your blog and the way you have written and managed it. I haven’t been to Belgium yet but it’s definitely on my bucket list!
    P.S. I’ll be dreaming about those waffles.

• dagoldberg95 says:

Yes, thank you! Having this opportunity to live in Europe has definitly opened my eyes to many new cultures (and dietary habits). The waffles in Belgium are definitly something to dream about. They were unlike anything I have ever had before. Simply amazing!

Liked by 1 person

2. katwoo2 says:

As someone who is non-coeliac gluten sensitive, I couldn’t have the waffles in Belgium but the chocolate and mussels (not on the same plate) were fabulous and didn’t upset my system!
    😊

3. Niko says:

I really like the hunger scale that you’ve included in your post, and the non-dieting information as well. It’s hard for most to modify diets to fit their needs, mainly because most believe that diet plans have all that is best for them, which of course isn’t true. Every person is different and their nutritional needs vary, as I pointed out in my Cleanse: Day 6 post. Thanks for the like! I’m looking forward to reading more from your blog.

4. Migraineuro says:

I was just in Brussels myself last summer. Their Belgian waffles are amazing and definitely a treat worthy of ditching a well balanced diet! And weirdly, even in euros they’re so much cheaper than they are in the states…

Liked by 1 person

5. avofoodies says:

I definitely agree wholeheartedly with this post! The problem I have with food is that I eat too much. For some reason, I think that the food is going to sprout legs and walk away from me if I don’t eat it right then and there! However, I need to remind myself that my stomach/body is more important than the food. Besides, I can always bring food home as leftovers.

Great post!

xoxo,
    Stephanie

Liked by 1 person

6. jncthedc says:

When indulging is going to occur frequently, you might want to sample rather than purchase full servings. It reduces the quantity while satisfying the need to taste and inquire especially when sampling other cultures. Wishing you many happy and healthy days sampling! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

7. musingsondinner says:

When you’re next in Belgium, there are definitely some local food as iconic and special to me as the classic waffles, frites, beer and chocolate, which are more savoury and meal-orientated. For example, tomato crevette – thiny brown shrimps stuffed inside a hollowed-out tomato (light in taste and good for summer); mosselen (moules, basically), sweet juicy mussels in garlicky broth; watercress soup (delicous and herbal) and even something like endive gratin, not light by any means but delicious, filling and more nutritious than other options.

Mind ou, next time you also need to try smoutebollen – deep-fried puffs of dough, classic fairground food. It’s essential that you share your ‘puntzak’ or you’ll soon feel ill, but just a couple are absolutely delicious

Liked by 1 person